Monday, June 17, 2013

The Gentleman with the Lamp - Andrew Grillet Short Story

     So one day I came across this being free on amazon and decided to pick it up because I've been in a short story mood for a while now.  It is written in the same way as an old fashioned ghost story and is just short enough to give it that same feeling where not a whole lot of questions are answered.  I read it in about 10 minutes but I must say that those were pretty enjoyable times because the author did a good job of describing the setting and the scenery which is where it really excelled.  The descriptions of the characters were short but still gave enough information to make it functional.  The ghost part was pretty generic as was the ending however and I understand that it might be generic because people know that's a good way to do a story but I would be looking for something a little more innovative.  I will give it credit for leaving a bit of questioning for the reader as well in the way that those old classic stories often would.  I would give it a 3.5/5 considering the above points, but because the time investment is so minimal to read it I'd recommend it to almost anyone who wants a little bit of spookiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment