Thursday, June 20, 2013

Return of the Living Dead (1985)

     So recently I lucked into having this little gem of horror cinema cross my tv guide, and decided to DVR it.  Upon looking it up on rotten tomatoes and imdb that good feeling was only cemented further.  Certainly I have no issue watching a terrible zombie movie, and have several times in the past, but the opportunity to watch one with critical success is not a chance I will often let go.  So last night I decided to take in my viewing of the aforementioned piece.
     I must say that it wasn't what I was expecting at all from a movie that got such good ratings, but it kind of reminded me of the best of comedy horror which is one of my favorite movie genres.  The characters are all ridiculous, unfortunately I had taped it from a normal channel and thus they censored out all of Trash being naked, but I definitely got a good idea of the kinds of individuals involved.
     The bumbling fools at the chemical company were especially important to the running of the movie as it is their idiocy that caused the creation of the zombies.  The pseudo-science throughout was explained enough to make it seem somewhat plausible.  I especially liked it when the zombies began to rise and the whole feeling of the end being nigh arose heavily.
     The zombies were of the intelligent, fast, strong variety and were capable of speaking intelligently and perpetuating terrifying situations.  Their voice acting was also done in a good way that gave them plenty of personality.  Their thirst for brains was even explained by one of them, and though it doesn't make a whole ton of sense I was glad for an attempt made to breach that subject.
     Overall however I definitely enjoyed this movie, it had a certain aspect that permeated all of it, being a goofy take on a horrific topic and having enough substance to still have a few scary scenes.  I loved the set up and the zombies creation and the siege laid on the town very much.  The only part I really wasn't a big fan of was the ending, which seemed like a bit of a cop out to a situation, but even that was realistic given the situation.  It was just disappointing to me that so much tension was raised and it all ended all of a sudden like it did.  However considering how much trouble the townsfolk were in I don't really know if there would've been a better explanation for how to get out of that situation, so I suppose it shouldn't really detract from it much. 

Easily the movie is a 9/10 and the reason its not perfect is really hard to look at cause its very good in a lot of ways.  I love this style of movie and film-making and will be looking for any opportunity to see the 2 sequels when they come out.  I know that they were less well received but I have heard they maintain the same punk attitude and kind of perspective and that's exactly what I look for when I'm watching movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment